Thursday, March 3, 2011

Carnaval 2011!!!

So, this week begins Carnaval, the week-long celebration in Alicante that is equivalent to what we know as Mardi Gras. The concept is the same: people are celebrating big time (and in style) before Ash Wednesday, otherwise known as the beginning of Lent. For the next 40 days, no one is allowed to celebrate, eat meat on Fridays, and in olden times, they had to fast the whole time. Today, we are basically just reminded that now begins the time of mourning for Jesus' death and we await his resurrection. We are expected to give something up as a reminder of this also (if you are Catholic, it is required; if not, its just recommended haha). Carnaval is thought to come from the Latin "carne" meaning meat, and "valle" meaning farewell. Bascially, farewell to the flesh, which is the whole sacrificial part. It is more Roman based, rather than the French based Mardi Gras.The difference between here and the States' version of Mardi Gras however, is that here, they dress up. And I'm not talking masks and beads. I'm talking full out Halloween type costumes. Literally, I have been told by multiple sources that if you are under the age of 50 you are expected to disfrazar (dress up). Everyone has a disfraz (costume). Even the small kids, who, instead of trick-or-treating for candy, just dress up during the day and play in the Rambla (the big main street) which they close off and fill with food and music. There are live bands, dancing, and of course at night, drinking. It is basically one big street party and literally you will be mocked and shunned if you are not properly attired. I have heard that anything goes: American ideas, Spanish ideas, whatever. As long as its a costume of some kind haha When I went costume shopping (there have all sorts of stores here for that, just like at home) I saw everything from Marilyn Monroe to Strawberry Shortcake to Disney Princesses. More common though were more general outfits, the cowboy, the Roman/Greek, all sorts of slutty costumes, the usual lol I was planning on a toga outfit to begin with because surprisingly, that is something I have never been. I ended up finding a cool costume that was super cheap. That the other nice thing here: while Halloween costumes in the States tend to be rather expensive (and its cheaper to put your own together), here they are cheap because EVERYONE does it. Mine was only about 12 euros, which is between 16-18$. I am really excited for this :) Its Halloween all over again, except more alcohol, more food, and more people! Every city does the celebrations differently: some have big parades, some just had open street parties (like Alicante), and others have skits or performances. This is a picture of the Carnaval Queen, who is kind of like the head of the parades we have at home, but super jazzed up.

This was Alicante last year during Carnaval. It is a view from the Rambla where they have the main celebrations. They strung the lights last week and I can't wait to see it all lit up!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment