So, as with all of my adventures so far, crazy things tend to happen really unexpectedly/annoyingly often. For example, this week was midterm week. The tests aren't that bad, and since my grades don't transfer it's not a complete travesty if I don't do well. Although of course I am going to give it my all, it won't be as bad as if I were back home and did poorly. Anyways, my first exam was Tuesday morning at 11 AM, the same time that I have class every Tuesday. I typically have my alarm set to go off around 8:45 so I can have time to get ready and then catch the bus, which can take between 20-45 minutes, depending on traffic and the number of passengers. My alarm did not go off on Tuesday morning at 8:45. My alarm did not go off at all, as a matter of fact, and I was left to wake up at 10:30 with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was horribly wrong (this was aided by the fact that it was way too bright outside for it to be 8:45). I was in panic mode, but I threw myself together and caught the next bus to arrive around 11:35 and finish with my exam approximately 10 minutes early lol
I guess I have an affinity for being on a time crunch. We were scheduled to go to Valencia to see las Fallas (giant paper mache and wooden statues - often as big as buildings - that are constructed all year and then burned after a week long celebration with much dancing, drinking, and gaiety). We were supposed to meet at Plaza de Luceros - about a 10 minute walk from my house - at 9 AM. I woke up at 8:57 due to lack of an alarm and promptly had that same sinking feeling that something was terribly awry. I went into action mode. Planning on taking a taxi to the University (where the buses were stopping to pick up kids there), I was up and ready and out of my house in about 5 minutes. As I am leaving, I call my friend Tyler who told me they still hadn't left Luceros and offered to try and hold the buses for me. I took off running and after almost passing out (I am soooooooooo out of shape) I made it to Luceros in less than 5 minutes. All in all, what should have been about a 20 or 30 minute process took me 10. I haven't been this proud of myself in such a long time! lol
The prisa (hurry) was worth it: the Fallas are breathtaking and the fact that someone spends all year constructing such a masterpiece and then burns it down in one night is something I still can't wrap my head around. Valencia is quite a charming city as well. Like Sevilla, it has both the small town atmosphere and the big city vibe. Maybe this was due to the insane amount of people that were clogging the streets, or maybe it was just the fact that the Fallas were so huge. I don't know, but either way, I am glad I could make the trip. Unfortunately, I am not able to go back today to watch the actual burning of the statues, but many of my friends could make it. Apparently it's just insane: as one friend described it, "It's like Carnaval in Alicante. But instead of 40,000 people partying, it's closer to 200,000." I can't wait to see pictures and here stories from my friends. Tonight I think I'll take it easy and relax here in Alicante. Without any prisa whatsoever.
No comments:
Post a Comment