Man do I have a lot to fill you guys in on... last week was pretty boring, so it´s mostly this weekend that has anything worth mentioning. I kind of settled into a routine during the first two weeks of class from 9-11, a short break for a snack, and then class again from 11:30-1:30. Then I either went to the gym for a half hour or so, or just went home. I would eat lunch with mi madre, take a siesta (normally), and then either go out, do homework, or shop :) Then I would have dinner around 8 or 9, and skype with my family around 11. It was hard because even though I got to siesta most days, I still had to get up at 6:45 to catch the bus every morning. So this week (which brought later classes!) was a very welcome break. But the interesting stuff starts with the weekend...
Friday night was pretty typical, a bunch of us met us and we got some tapas before heading to the Barrio for some fun ;) This time though, we went to this little taparia close to my house where the waiter, who apparently was fan of a couple of the girls and of Americans in general, gave us free shots of tequila to start out the night. Always a nice kick-off... haha. Barrio, dancing, Spanish boys, chupitos (shots), more dancing, taxi ride home because heels are killing your feet, end scene.
Saturday I woke up around noon and lounged in my PJs for a while before I heard the doorbell ring. I guess I had forgotten that my family was coming over because soon my madre was calling me and telling me there was someone to see me... I open my bedroom door to find the cutest pint sized little tot EVER staring me in the face with Spongebob Squarepants in one hand and a ball in the other. I was in love... this little mass of adorableness is known as Borga, my madre's grandson. He is sooooooo freaking cute!!! He had been sick with what they thought was the chicken pox for about a week so I hadn't been able to see him (or any of my family for that matter) and I guess Saturday was when he got better. Soon after my brother and his girlfriend arrived who I also really liked. We had a big family lunch of chicken paella (which mi madre makes soooo well!) and talked. They all said I speak Spanish really well. Boy, have I got them fooled! haha And my new cuñada (sister in law) Esther invited me to a bar that she works at called Pixies. She said she was working Saturday night and that she would get me and my friends some shots...
Boy, did she EVER! We got there and right away it was tequila shots, on the house. It was a secret from her boss, who was there, but then later he took one with us too! We knocked a few back, talked a lot, and then left to DANCE!!! We ended up finding a lot of other kids from our group and went to this place with 3 floors all made for dancing. My favorite :) We danced the night away and then walked home because the next dayyyyy...
I got to go to Plaza de Toros and watch a mock bull fight with my madre! Her co-worker's daughter is actually in the bull-fighting school here in Alicante, and is one of like 3 girls in the school. She is the protegee of the second woman bullfighter in all of Spain, Angela. This lady is like a legend, and although she is old and gray now, she is still very upbeat and fiery haha It was sooo cool, I honestly can´t even put it into words. The history was so apparent, and even though it was only a practice for the students, it was so amazing to say that I had been able to witness something like that. We met up with some of mi madre's amigas and another girl that is the 'daughter' of one of mi madre's friends. Then, home for comida, siesta, y otras cosas (other things).
Monday morning I hopped on a bus for a trip around the provinces of Alicante, which are basically other towns. We got to see the town of Villajoyosa, which literally means 'happy village', and which has houses all the colors of the rainbow and is right on the beach. It was so beautiful and the historic Church was fascinating. We travelled to Guadalest, which has a mansion-house from the early centuries which is now a museum. The town is actually located on a mountain and it was freezing! We definitely didn't dress for snow or rain, which we encountered. But again, the little village was adorable and very picturesque. Finally, we stopped at a town caled Campello, which has a famous chocolate shop named Valor. Churros con chocolate (basically, just giant pieces of funnel cake that you dip in melted Hershye's bars) is the specialty there. Then we all went out on the beach and the rock pier. It was so much fun and we were all exhausted at the end of the day.
Today began the first day of legit classes and so far, so good:) I am excited to finally get into a routine and have a nice schedule to follow. I work much better when I am busy or have a schedule to get into. This week will be different and new things are definitely going down...
Take a look at www.aboutcampello.com - you might want to join us there and share your experiences. You´d be welcome!
ReplyDelete